Thursday, July 1, 2010

How it is / How it should be

Hey everyone! (That is if there's anyone left to read this poor forgotten old blog) I know it's been a while and I apologize once more. Life has been busy, but God has been teaching me so much!

I have another poem for you all, but before you read it, I need to explain a few things. One: This poem is a split poem, which means it's really two poems in one. The first part is entitled How It Is, and it is much darker then any of my other poems, so be warned. Two: These are not my words, so don't freak out. However, the words were inspired by conversations I have had with an adult, a teenager and a child this past year and summer. I know that there are many who struggle with depression. The first part of this poem is an echo of thought and emotion from a person about to commit suicide.

heavy hearted
weighed down by unshed tears
stretched to the point of breaking
the mask has been chipped beyond repair
drowning in painted pieces of hidden pain
and fear
loosing air
taking a breath only prolongs the agony
arms hang limp at side
why fight?
darkness creeping in
heart beat races
suddenly i'm afraid. i'm not ready to die
but now it's to late to fight
pressure building
pieces falling faster
screams are muffled into silence
as i shatter into a million pieces

...and it's over
tears are all that are left
burning holes into the floor

Depression is serious and it's ruining the lives of many people. It's also becoming more normal at a younger and younger age. There are children who are four years old who have tried to commit suicide. These are desperate cries for help, for answers and for hope in a hopeless world. And there is hope! Praise God, I have met people who have broken out of their depression, and who now are overflowing with the joy of the Lord. No they are not always happy, yes they still have troubles, but now they know they are not alone. They have vision, and security. The next part of the poem is called How It Should Be, it is written parallel to the first on the right hand side, so that you can clearly see the difference.

heavy hearted Burden shared
weighed down by unshed tears At the cross I cast my cares
stretched to the point of breaking Every trial builds my endurance
the mask has been chipped beyond repair Given a new name I stand secure
drowning in painted pieces of hidden pain Surrounded by an incomprehensible
and fear Love
loosing air White robe to wear
taking a breath only prolongs the agony A new family and purpose
arms hang limp at side Hands raised in speechless wonder
why fight? At freedom and amazing grace
darkness creeping in Dancing in light
heart beat races Heart expands with joy
suddenly i'm afraid, i'm not ready to die Fear has no place when my Lord loves me
but now it's to late to fight With an everlasting love
pressure building Peace abounds
pieces falling faster When I cling to my anchor
screams are muffled into silence Speaking words of meaning and wisdom
as i shatter into a million pieces I am a new creation

...and it's over ...and this is just the beginning
tears are all that are left Everything is new
burning holes into the floor For by His wounds I am healed

2 comments:

Janai Fuentes said...

Excellent, Sarah!! Wow...I think I'm going to link to this on my blog! =)

~Janai

Sarah said...

Hey Janai! Thanks so much for your comment! Miss you!